There are some things I wish I knew apart for my passion for fashion before I decided to start my fashion business.
The first and foremost is to be able to know what you’re doing. How you want to be different from other fashion entrepreneurs and know your competitors.
It might seem like you can answer these questions in a heartbeat but trust me it’s hard to put down. So please don’t assume you know the answers instead write them down.
2. Research! You need to know the different kind of fabrics that we have, what they can be used to make; and what other fabrics they can be combined with.
3.Have sketches of your designs and make prototypes. Yes prototypes or in a lay mans language dummy sized. Else you’ll keep wasting money. And ensure not to copy other people’s designs, you’re setting yourself up for failure. People will always see you as an alternative.
4. Once your designs are feasible and you are sure they can be achieved. Now you have to invest in your business. Make sure you make the designs available in large quantities.
5. Once you have your products available in large quantities, take amazing pictures of them and start marketing on social media. Don’t think you can market them alone, you need to make use of influencers that you know and sponsored posts to help you reach a wider coverage. Beyond social media, research the stores in your city that you can distribute too and negotiate with them.
6. It might seem like the marketing looks good with no 5, but no! You need to network, meet new people and make your existing friends patronize you. Your friends will buy your products even if they don’t need it but just to support you. I am not saying you should depend on ‘pity buy’ but subsequently they’ll keep patronizing you. As long as your products are of good quality.
7. By now you should be making money, I am sure it feels good 😊, but hey you need an accountant! Else you’ll make money and then spend it and then be back in square one. You should have in mind that as you keep growing, you’ll need more money for bigger and better designs so you need to save. Once your account is in check, and you produce something amazing for your target market; you don’t have problems.
These are tips I had to learn from my experience. But what I was taught in class was that you should first and foremost write a business plan. I didn’t write a solid one at first but trust me I am already writing one.its helps to measure your success and have a plan as you grow in the years.
These are the tips I learnt from my experience, you can share any tip you think I didn’t add in the comment section. Thanks for reading I hope you learnt some things.